How is Hospice Covered?
Hospice is paid for through the Medicare Hospice Benefit, Medicaid Hospice Benefit, and most private insurers. If a person does not have coverage through Medicare, Medicaid or a private insurance company, Gateway Hospice will provide care regardless of payer source.
- All prescription and over-the-counter drugs related to the patient’s terminal diagnosis (including medications for palliation – e.g. pain, nausea/vomiting)
- Medical equipment and supplies related to the patient’s terminal diagnosis
- A Registered Nurse Case manager to supervise the Plan of Care, provide direct care and instruct the patient and family / caregiver
- Certified Home Health Aides to assist the patient with Activities of Daily Living and personal care
- Physician services to assist in the palliation of the terminal illness and related conditions
- Spiritual Care Coordinator to meet the unique spiritual needs and desires of the patient
- Social workers who focus on financial, emotional and psychosocial issues
- Volunteers who provide companionship to the patients
- As indicated for Palliative purposes, physical, occupational and speech therapy, and dietary counseling
- As indicated for Palliative purposes, laboratory and diagnostic procedures
Download the Medicare Hospice Benefit Booklet